Ricardo Arroyo, a Boston City Councilor, has been accused of sexual assault. On Thursday, a judge ordered that he be given access to the police reports by Friday at 2:00 p.m.
“All allegations of sexual assault should be taken seriously and I will do so as District Attorney. I understand the pain and the harm that sexual assault causes. "
“I want to assure you that I am committed to protecting the identity of the individual in these files,” Arroyo said in a statement.
Leonard H. Kesten, an attorney representing the woman in the case who had resisted disclosure of the data, said she was disappointed in the judge's decision but respected it.
As the Democratic primary on September 6 draws near, controversy has surrounded Arroyo's run against current Suffolk DA Kevin Hayden.
High profile Democrats including Senator Elizabeth Warren, Boston Mayor Michelle Wu, and U.S. Representative Ayanna Pressley withdrew their support for Arroyo earlier this week.
Kim Janey, a former interim mayor of Boston, also withdrew her support for Arroyo on Thursday.